I have been a bit obsessed about making my own silver chain recently. Made from recycled sterling silver, the organic nature of this chain has a huge appeal for me. I like the recycled chain with my recycled glass beads. A great story.
Here’s how to make silver chain in 10 easy steps:
- Wind silver wire around a round object many, many times
- Cut individual silver “links”
- File the ends of the silver links so you get a clean joint
- Solder the first link
- Solder the next link, continue soldering links until you reach the desired length
- Using 2 files, shape the links into an organic/leafy shape
- Place the finished chain in a solution of vinegar and salt to clean the oxidisation
- Tumble the finished chain in a tumbler for an hour
- Dry the chain
- Add a tiny clasp and wear it!